Thursday 30 March 2017

{English} milk and honey - Rupi Kaur

For fans of: the princess saves herself in this one - Amanda Lovelace
Published: 2015 (Andrews McMeel)
Pages: 204

 

Blurb: The book is divided into four chapters, and each chapter serves a different purpose. Deals with a different pain. Heals a different heartache. milk and honey takes listeners through a journey of the most bitter moments in life and finds sweetness in them—because there is sweetness everywhere if you are just willing to look.

My opinion: Words can't describe what this book made me feel! It's seriously beautiful and everyone, especially every woman, should read it!
It centers a lot around rape, trauma and other bad experiences, but also around healing, femininity and loving yourself. That's a very important message!

The only problem I had with it was
the way
it's written
like every word
is a quote.
I'm totally okay with not using capital letters though.
And some poems were just a little too abstract for me.

My favourite one is:
accept yourself
as you were designed
Because that's just it. That's what most women struggle with. They always find something ugly about themselves, no matter what they do. They talk about their "problem zones" and feel ashamed for them. That's what our society is like and it's aweful and ridiculous.

I personally would have needed this book as a teenager already. Because even though I didn't suffer any trauma, there were some things I struggled with, including accepting myself as I am.
Therefore Milk and Honey should be mandatory for every girl around the globe. Scratch that, for every teenager! The author doesn't directly blame men for causing all the adressed problems and neither do I. But they are just as responsible for it as womem are.
Even though not every woman has experienced the same things the author described, there's something for every one to identify.

I don't want to go into further detail about the plot. Not because I'm too lazy to write a proper review, but because I can't do it justice.
Rupi Kaurs love for words is almost palpable and I'd read everything she writes in the future. You go Girl!

 
 

My rating: 4/5 Buttons

No comments:

Post a Comment